How on Earth can long distance providers still be in business? With wireless prices dropping and providers offering unlimited calls to anywhere in the United States, there is a strong argument for dropping the land line. I have a land line with AT&T providing both DSL and the AT&T All Distance Online Select package. When we subscribed, it seemed reasonable at around $60.00 for phone and Internet. A Comcast bundle wasn’t looking any cheaper after the introductory period. With additional surcharges and taxes, the AT&T bill is around $74.00 every month. There are over $14.00 is taxes and additional charges! My favorite charge is the Universal Service Fee.

Federal Universal Service Fee
The Universal Service Fund (USF) promotes and assures the availability of universal service at rates that are just, reasonable and affordable, and to provide for reasonably comparable service and rates between rural and urban areas. Telecommunications providers are allowed by law to surcharge their customers to recover the USF charges they pay. This charge is not a tax.


Just to be sure I understand it; they charge me more so they can change others less. Good plan. I’m looking into Verizon phone plans; maybe change TV/Internet bundles with another provider, or possibly dropping long distance. I’m not too thrilled with Comcast prices and I really don’t want a dish. I had used a wireless phone as my only phone for years and it worked out just fine. I wonder if I live close enough to Google for free Internet.